Sulphur Spring Valley lies in southeastern Arizona and is crossed by the thirty-second parallel and the one hundred and tenth meridian. From the international boundary, which is arbitrarily taken as its southern limit, it extends north-northwestward for 90 miles. Its average width is about 20 miles and its area is fully 1,800 square miles. The valley is bordered on each side by a chain of mountain ranges. The mountains on the west separate it from San Pedro Valley, which drains northward into Gila River; the mountains on the east separate it from San Simon Valley, which drains northward into the Gila, and from San Bernardino Valley, which drains southward into the Yaqui.
On the highest mountains, especially the Chiricahua and Pinaleno ranges, the rainfall is sufficient to support a growth of tall yellow pine, but the low ranges receive so little rain that they carry only small timber or are quite bare. In the mountains there are many springs the largest of which give rise to small streams, but no permanent stream enters the valley.
The Chiricahua Mountains, the largest mountains in this region, extend southward from Apache Pass for about 30 miles. In the northern portion the range has many ragged peaks, but farther south, where it is wider and more massive, it has a remarkably even crest line, a considerable part of which is more than 9,000 feet above sea level and nearly 5,000 feet above the level of the valley. The range supports a growth of tall yellow pine which is included in the Chiricahua National Forest. Numerous canyons cut both sides of the range. Some of these contain small streams that during rainy seasons may flow a short distance into the valley. The principal streams on the west side are Wash Creek, Fivemile Creek, and Ash Creek. The Pedregosa Mountains form a short and rather low range extending southward from the Chiricahua Mountains to Silver Creek. They lie back of Sulphur Spring Valley and are drained chiefly into San Bernardino Valley
Sulphur Spring Valley, together with the rest of that part of Arizona which lies south of the Gila, was acquired from Mexico by purchase in 1853. Up to that time and until about 20 years later it was occupied almost exclusively by the Chiricahua Indians, who were among the most warlike of the Apache tribe and who, according to some authorities, were the fiercest Indians on the continent.
Small town lifestyle is at its highest in the Valley, with family events, farmers markets, agriculture, camping, hiking, horseback riding, hunting, Astronomy and much, much more.
Cochise Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Cochise
- 1954 N Pinto Lane, Unit 317&318 Cochise, AZ 85606
- 2750 N Noogard Lane Cochise, AZ 85606
- 120 Ac Off Stronghold Road, Unit – Cochise, AZ 85606
- 80 Ac Off Stronghold Road, Unit – Cochise, AZ 85606
- 120 Acre On Ironwood Rd, Unit – Cochise, AZ 85606
- 80 Acre On Ironwood Rd, Unit – Cochise, AZ 85606
- 3653 N Teddy Bear Lane Cochise, AZ 85606
- 400 Ac On Ironwood Rd Road, Unit 1 Cochise, AZ 85606
- 80 Ac Off Slope Along – South End Road, Unit – Cochise, AZ 85606
Walk Score for Cochise
Cochise School Data
- Cochise Elementary School
- K-8, public